1 characterized by intense emotion; "ardent love"; "an ardent lover"; "a burning enthusiasm"; "a fervent desire to change society"; "a fervent admirer"; "fiery oratory"; "an impassioned appeal"; "a torrid love affair" [syn: burning(a), fervent, fervid, fiery, impassioned, perfervid, torrid]
2 characterized by strong enthusiasm; "ardent revolutionaries"; "warm support" [syn: warm]
3 glowing or shining like fire; "from rank to rank she darts her ardent eyes"- Alexander Pope; "frightened by his ardent burning eyes"
EtymologyFirst attested circa 14th century, ardaunt, from ardant, from ardentem, nominative of ardens, present participle of ardere, "to burn."
- 1956 — Arthur C.
Clarke, The City and the Stars, p 43
- This ardent exploration, absorbing all his energy and interest, made him forget for the moment the mystery of his heritage and the anomaly that cut him off from all his fellows.
Ardent may refer to:
- Ardent Creative Inc. (http://www.ardentcreative.com), is a Texas based firm that specializes in web design, graphic design, video production, photography, and marketing.
- Ardent Creative (http://www.ardentcreative.co.uk), is a full service design agency specialising in Branding, Graphic Design and Web Design.
- Ardeadcadsacnt (automobile), a French automobile made from 1900 to 1901
- Ardent Computer, a graphics minicomputer manufacturing company
- Ardent , a character class in Dungeons & Dragons
- HMS Ardent, numerous ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Ardent.
- Ardent Records, a record label
- Ardent Studios, a recording studio
abandoned, ablaze, acquiescent, afire, aflame, aflicker, aglow, agog, agreeable, alacritous, alcoholic, alight, amative, amatory, amenable, amorous, and, anxious, assiduous, athirst, avid, baking, blazing, blistering, boiling, boiling over, breathless, broiling, burning, burning hot, candent, candescent, canicular, comburent, committed, compliant, conflagrant, consenting, constant, content, cooperative, cordial, crying, dedicated, delirious, desirous, devoted, devout, diligent, disposed, docile, drunk, eager, earnest, ebullient, emphatic, energetic, enthusiastic, erotic, excited, exciting, extreme, exuberant, fain, faithful, fanatic, favorable, favorably disposed, favorably inclined, febrile, fervent, fervid, fevered, feverish, fierce, fiery, flagrant, flaming, flaring, flickering, flushed, forward, fuming, game, genial, glowing, great, grilling, guttering, hard, hard-core, hardworking, hasty, hearty, heated, hectic, hospitable, hot, hot as fire, hot as hell, hot-blooded, hotheaded, ignescent, ignited, impassioned, impatient, impetuous, importunate, impulsive, in a blaze, in a glow, in earnest, in flames, in the mind, in the mood, incandescent, inclined, indefatigable, industrious, inflamed, insistent, intense, intent, intent on, intoxicated, keen, kindled, laborious, lascivious, liege, like a furnace, like an oven, live, lively, living, loverlike, loverly, loyal, madcap, mighty, minded, never idle, on fire, overheated, overwarm, parching, passionate, perfervid, piping hot, pliant, powerful, precipitate, predisposed, prompt, prone, provoking, quick, ready, ready and willing, receptive, red-hot, reeking, relentless, resolute, responsive, roasting, scalding, scintillant, scintillating, scorching, searing, sedulous, seething, serious, sexual, simmering, sincere, sizzling, sizzling hot, sleepless, smoking, smoking hot, smoldering, sparking, spirited, spirituous, staunch, steadfast, steaming, steamy, stimulating, stirring, strenuous, strong, sudorific, sweating, sweaty, sweltering, sweltry, thirsty, tireless, toasting, torrid, totally committed, tractable, true, uncontrolled, unextinguished, unflagging, ungoverned, unquenched, unremitting, unrestrained, unsleeping, unsparing, unwearied, urgent, vehement, vigorous, vinous, warm, warmhearted, well-disposed, well-inclined, white-hot, willed, willing, willinghearted, winy, with a kick, zealous